martedì 24 gennaio 2012

It's a Shame!

Everybody knows that the Oscars are the most important cinema awards in the world.
This doesn't mean, of course, that they are the best. 
Actually, they are not. 
Still, for people involved in cinema, to win an Oscar means a lot, and very often it means to have a career, if not a life, changed.
Everybody knows as well, or at least my loyal readers, how much I love Michael Fassbender. Stupidly enough, especially after his nomination to the Golden Globes, I thought he would have had an Oscar nomination for his incredible performance in Shame by Steve McQueen. He didn't, and I think it is a real shame! 
Sadly enough, it wasn't my only deception: I think it is a pity not to have nominated Tilda Swinton for her amazing role in We need to talk about Kevin by Lynne Ramsay, or Albert Brooks for his great role in Drive by Nicholas Winding Refn (I mean, why Drive is not present at all???) and I am also shocked to hear that Once upon a time in Anatolia by Nuri Bilge Ceylan is not among the 5 nominations for the Best Foreign Film. 
Let's cheer up, though, because there are reasons to be happy: the success of The Artist by Michel Hazanavicius, a movie I really loved, the two nominations for the Iranian masterpiece A separation by Asghar Farhadi and the unexpected nomination for Margin Call by J. C. Chandor in the category of Best Original Screenplay.
The missed nomination to Fassbender, reminded me of something that happened back in 1988. That year, the Academy forgot to nominate an actor who deserved that award more than anybody else: Jeremy Irons, for his double role in Dead Ringers by David Cronenberg.
A couple of years afterwards, Irons was nominated and won the Oscar for Reversal of Fortune by Barbet Schroeder. During his acceptance speech, he pronounced the following statement: "Thank you also, and some of you may understand why, David Cronenberg!" The audience started clapping. That Oscar, as a matter of fact, was more for the Cronenberg movie than for the one he was receiving the award for.
I am pretty sure that one day, in years to come, Michael Fassbender will make the same kind of speech, and he will pronounce the famous statement: "Thank you, Steve McQueen!"
We will all understand why.

2 commenti:

  1. Every year I tell myself I shouldn't care, but every year I find myself caring way too much over who was snubbed. Your Fassbender will definitely find himself with an Oscar statuette someday. Right now, I'm pulling for Gary Oldman. He blows my mind, he's so amazing in Tinker Tailor. I really loved Demian Bichir, too, though.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Dear Josephine,
    I do love Gary Oldman as well, and I'm super happy for this nomination, but I still didn't see the movie, so I can't really say anything about it... but I'm sure he is amazing!

    RispondiElimina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...